January 2, 2010

Code Switching


I grew up hearing the voice of Bob Edwards almost every day on the radio. When he left NPR, I didn't get satellite radio, so he was just gone, and I hadn't heard him since. A couple weeks ago I discovered his shows, The Bob Edwards Show and Bob Edwards Weekend, finally, through podcasts. Hearing his voice again, and his voice is unchanged, gives me solemn, nostalgic, near-religious feelings that the world really does have some kind of continuity and that Bob Edwards will live forever.

Below are a couple segments from a recent episode where he interviews writer Sarah Lyall about British culture. It's a good interview in its own right - she's got plenty to say - but it's also good example of Bob Edwards' interviewing style.

Bob Edwards' shows are on Sirius XM satellite radio, in itunes and on the websites.

(Update 8/2012, Links no longer available, sorry)

PHOTO: Jonathan Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment